Here are some interesting facts about the affiliate we'll be working with in Guatemala:
• Founded in 1979, Habitat for Humanity Guatemala (HFHG) is Habitat's oldest and largest international affiliate.
• National office based in the western highlands city of Quetzaltenango.
• HFHG is a Guatemalan-run organization with only 13 of the 150 employees being international workers.
• An average of 1,400 international volunteers are hosted by HFHG annually.
• Build time is reduced by at least one week with help from International volunteers like you!
• 1,100 people are involved in HFHG nationally, including 700 national volunteers on 181 Local Committees.
• HFHG serves an average of 3,000 families per year.
• More than 35,000 housing solutions have been built to date.
• Services include financing, home construction, home improvements, disaster relief, and educational workshops.
• HFHG has the ambitious goal of doubling the number of housing solutions currently achieved within the next five years. With 14 years and more than 30,000 housing solutions under his belt, Executive Director Luis Samayoa said, “We must have faith.” We invite you to join us in our dream to serve another 16,000 families in the next three years, reaching a total of 50,000 families served here in Guatemala.
I'm so excited that our team will be making a difference and helping transform homes and lives in Guatemala.